- Take a poll on a current and previous issues!
- Get background information on the issues.
- Discuss the issues with other students!
- Download curriculum for elementary, middle, or high school.
- Line up a guest speaker for your class.
- Find out when and where the next public hearing will be.
Students learn about civics by taking part in civic processes.
The Michigan House Civics Commission is an initiative of the Civics Institute, which believes that one of the best ways to teach civics is to engage students in governmental processes like creating, discussing, and defending ideas for new laws.
With that in mind, teachers can download curriculum to use in class that can lay the groundwork for getting involved. To go a step further, students can vote on bill ideas at this web site, and can even create ideas for new laws and testify about them to the commission, at a public hearing.
Special thanks to: